Re: console based word processors

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes (quoting Richard Stevens):

>   The last line of a right hand page should not end with a hyphen. This
>   has been a style rule for many years, yet it is amazing that most word
>   processors do not do this! I just smile when I pick up a book produced
>   with something like Frame and you immediately find these errors.

I know this is off topic, but I was genuinely interested by this
quote. I'd like to know a little more about Stevens's assertion. Is it
widely acknowledged by typograhers? Randomly pulling a few books off
my shelf, I found in each one examples of this error, even in older
books, and even in a German text printed in 1884.

I can see the importance of the principle for readability, but if so
many publishers (current and past) ignore it, then I wonder what force
it has.

Dan

--