Re: console based word processors

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 11:21:03PM -0500, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> [emacs|vi|pico|some-bigots-fav-text-editor] + groff + the ms macro
> package is a pretty good replacement for Wordstar with it's dot
> commands. Actually, that's wrong: it's WAY better than Wordstar, and I
> actually think it's better than today's MS Word etc. in many ways.

  The last line of a right hand page should not end with a hyphen. This
  has been a style rule for many years, yet it is amazing that most word
  processors do not do this! I just smile when I pick up a book produced
  with something like Frame and you immediately find these errors.
  Needless to say, troff does this correctly, and has for 20+ years. A
  friend commented to me that normal evolution would have gone Word to
  Frame to troff, but instead, the computer industry has gone the other
  way!

    - the late W. Richard Stevens