Mounting symbolic links

Hi,

I have some trouble getting filessytems mountet that are symbolic links
only. I have some scripts running that copy specific files from cdroms
into specific directories within my home area. These scripts must be run
on different machines (hosted by different OSs) from time to time. The
problem is the not standarized mount point for the cdrom device.

Solaris:	/cdrom/cdrom0
Red Hat:	/mnt/cdrom
Debian:		/cdrom

Therefore, I have a symbolic link in all my home directories pointing to
the reall mount point. The link is called "cdrom". So I usually do like
this:

$ cd
$ mount cdrom/

This worked fine on Debian since hamm or somewhat earlier. Now that I
switched to woody, it says like:

mount: can't find /home/jexss/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

This is, in fact, correct, since /home/jexss/cdrom is a symbolic link
only. Anyway: Why can't I mount the cdrom drive that way anymore? Is that
kind of a security feature or did I just miss the point? I couldn't find
anything in the manual pages.

Someone who can help me?

Thanks a lot,
Jan.