Spellcheck

I'm running Evolution under KDE 2 on a debian testing system, kernel
2.4.18.  I have gnome-spell, ispell and aspell all installed.  (Not sure
how I ended up with both ispell and aspell installed but I just checked
and they're both there.)  When I write an email, there's a menu item
under "Edit" to "Spell Check Document."  Selecting it results in a
pop-up window that says "No misspelled words found."  This immediately
pops up, regardless of what the message contains.  I can type pure
gibberish and it happily tells me that there are no misspelled words.  I
can't find any configuration options which seem like they might affect
spell checking.  Any clue as to how I can get it working?

Once I DO get it working, is there any way to have Evolution
automatically run spell-check before sending an email?  I can't find any
options for this either.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.