Re: XFree86 after crash

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:14:08PM -0400, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> I had a brief power fluctuation the other day.  Despite being plugged into a
> cheap UPS (which is going back to the store this weekend), my box reset
> itself.  Boot-up file system check found no errors.  However, when I logged
> in, X would not start.  I got errors that sections of my XF86Config file were
> unrecognized.  I installed a stable system and updated to testing.  I'm
> pretty sure this upgraded my XF from 3.? to 4.1.0.  startx, which had worked
> fine before the power dump, was evidently causing 3.? to try and start.
> Executiong XFree86 directly resulted in X starting (with no desktop, fo
> course.)  A bit of poking about and I found out that /usr/bin/X11/X was not a
> link to a server.  It was an actual executable.  I renamed it and linked X
> directly to XFree86.  I started XF as root but got an error as non-root.  I
> had to suid root XFree86.  I can now run XF as non-root, although I got an
> error concerning the sound system that /tmp/something did not belong to user.
> (I don't even have speakers hooked to this system, so I'm not overly
> concerned with it now.)
>
> Did the power dump cause this problem or did it just bring it to light
> (perhaps an update or install of something inserted the problem but I hadn't
> rebooted or exited X since then)?  Is X normally an executable vice a link
> under debian testing?  Was linking X directly to XFree86 the correct way to
> fix this?  Should XFree86 normally be suid root?

/etc/X11/X is a symlink to your xserver in /usr/bin/X11.
/usr/bin/X11/X is an executable. It is the xserver wrapper. See man 5
Xserver.config.

If you have a broken xserver wrapper, try reinstalling xserver-common.

If you upgrade from stable to testing, you may not have been running
X4.1. To use X4.1 you have to run dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.

--
Jerome