XFree86 after crash

I had a brief power fluctuation the other day.  Despite being plugged into a
cheap UPS (which is going back to the store this weekend), my box reset
itself.  Boot-up file system check found no errors.  However, when I logged
in, X would not start.  I got errors that sections of my XF86Config file were
unrecognized.  I installed a stable system and updated to testing.  I'm
pretty sure this upgraded my XF from 3.? to 4.1.0.  startx, which had worked
fine before the power dump, was evidently causing 3.? to try and start.
Executiong XFree86 directly resulted in X starting (with no desktop, fo
course.)  A bit of poking about and I found out that /usr/bin/X11/X was not a
link to a server.  It was an actual executable.  I renamed it and linked X
directly to XFree86.  I started XF as root but got an error as non-root.  I
had to suid root XFree86.  I can now run XF as non-root, although I got an
error concerning the sound system that /tmp/something did not belong to user.
(I don't even have speakers hooked to this system, so I'm not overly
concerned with it now.)

Did the power dump cause this problem or did it just bring it to light
(perhaps an update or install of something inserted the problem but I hadn't
rebooted or exited X since then)?  Is X normally an executable vice a link
under debian testing?  Was linking X directly to XFree86 the correct way to
fix this?  Should XFree86 normally be suid root?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.