Permission denied?

Hi all,

I am running a woody server with the root fs (reiserfs) on software RAID1.
Kernel is 2.2.20 compiled with Debian make-kpkg from the Debian package of
the kernel source.

The server suddenly stopped working and I was unable to log in from the
console.  Attempting to reboot failed with "No init found".

I booted the woody bf2.4 install floppies (that have reiserfs capability)
and used Eduard Bloch's RAID-and-LVM extdisk floppy to restart the arrays.
I successfully mounted the filesystems under /target BUT /lib and /etc
were missing from the root filesystem.  Doing ls /target returned:

/target/etc: Permission denied
/target/lib: Permission denied
<normal listing followed>

I copied the root filesystem onto a single disk partition on a fresh disk
using dd, and ran reiserfsck --rebuild-tree on that.  That got me /etc
back, but what appears to be /lib is in /lost+found.  There are files and
directories in the top level named with numbers.  The good news is that
only the files and directories in the top level are named with numbers;
it appears that files in the lower levels have retained their names.

Any suggestions as to

- How not to have this happen again?

- How to get the names in the top level of /lib back?

Best regards,

|   George Karaolides                      Linustech Advanced Solutions,  |
|   tel:   +357 22 89 87 28               31 Evagorou Avenue, Office 32,  |
|   web:   www.linustech.com.cy                         Nicosia CY 1066,  |
|   email: george.karaolides@linustech.com.cy       Republic  of Cyprus.  |