Re: Red Hat user shopping around

On Thu, 9 May 2002, dman wrote:

> number is kinda part of the package name.  The package name is as much
> as you specify, rather than having specific delimiters like dpkg.  rpm
> also allows multiple packages with the same "name" (different version)
> installed, as long as no two files have the same name.  It's a real
> PITA.

Which to this day is still (accurately) speculated as being one of the
reasons why I moved my school to Debian in '97.  *Way* too easy to
completely mismanage a RPM based system simply due to inconsistancies in
package naming, numbering, and it's other counterintuitive perks...

> Someone has even ported apt to rpm.  It has some problems though --
> it's potato's apt (no preferences) and it mmaps the Packages file.  I
> tried using it (within the last few months) on a machine with 96MB
> RAM.  It dies with an out-of-memory error.  Potato's apt on my 8MB
> clunker _works_ even though it gets a sound thrashing in the process.

Good.  New fodder in how Red Hat *can't* use our tools against us.  8:o)

--
Baloo