Re: How to get xfree86 v4 working after dist-upgrade?

Shyamal Prasad wrote:

> "Brooks" == Brooks R Robinson <brooks.robinson@rides.com> writes:
>
> Brooks> | What is the Debian way to get this working?
>
> Brooks> IIRC you can rename /etc/X11/XF86Config to Brooks>
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
>
> Don't do that! Install xserver-xfree86, and let the installer guide you
>  through it.

Thank-you. This worked good. I was able to get xfree84-4 to work with a voodoo3 card using the xserver-xfree86 server and tdfx driver. I looked at the -4 docs earlier and knew that was the correct driver. It seems it saved some of my other settings as well. It sure can find out a bunch of stuff about the card etc. as I didn't need to specify memory or anything. Is there another configuration program such as xf86config or something I should use to fine tune?

What do I need to do to remove the old -3 stuff?

I'm wondering why there is no info in the release notes for this so when people upgrade to woody they know what to do.

Thanks again,
Eric