Re: How to get xfree86 v4 working after dist-upgrade?

    "Eric" == Eric Richardson <eric.richardson@milagrosoft.com> writes:

    Eric> Shyamal Prasad wrote:

    >> Don't do that! Install xserver-xfree86, and let the installer
    >> guide you through it.

    Eric> Thank-you. This worked good. I was able to get xfree84-4 to
    Eric> work with a voodoo3 card using the xserver-xfree86 server
    Eric> and tdfx driver. I looked at the -4 docs earlier and knew
    Eric> that was the correct driver. It seems it saved some of my
    Eric> other settings as well. It sure can find out a bunch of
    Eric> stuff about the card etc. as I didn't need to specify memory
    Eric> or anything. Is there another configuration program such as
    Eric> xf86config or something I should use to fine tune?

Yes, XFree86 4.x does a pretty good job detecting things for you,
specially with new hardware. I find that the best way to configure
things is to do 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' and let debconf
handle the file for you.

If you want to fine tune beyond that, edit the XFree86-4 file but
respect the comments about where to put your hand written stuff. If
you don't, debconf will write over your changes the next time you
upgrade, restart X and so on!

    Eric> What do I need to do to remove the old -3 stuff?

I'm not sure, but I guess 'apt-get remove xserver-common-v3' should do
it.

    Eric> I'm wondering why there is no info in the release notes for
    Eric> this so when people upgrade to woody they know what to do.

I suppose it's the same reasoning as for the kernel: going to Woody
does not require an upgrade to X. If you want to upgrade X you do it
explicitly.

Cheers!
Shyamal