X Fonts and Ximian Gnome

Hello

I'm new to Debian (a recent convert from Mandrake) and a moderately
advanced Linux user, but I've been having a few problems getting
everything up and running on my IBM ThinkPad A22m (the problems aren't
laptop-related).

(1) The X server is complaining about not finding the 'fixed' font.  I
have (to my knowledge) xserver-xfree86, xserver-common, xfonts-100dpi,
and xfonts-75dpi installed (I'm not sure what else related).  Is there
something I'm missing?  I'm doing the configuration with 'XFree86
-configure', if that helps any.

(2) After getting the X server working, I would like to install Gnome.
AFAIK, the only(?) way to do this is with Ximian Gnome's installer,
correct?  Their two methods are the 'http://go-gnome.com | sh' and
'apt-get install task-ximian-gnome' (from
http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main).  I've read some bad
things about the go-gnome installer, so I decided to do it the apt-get
way (since that's why I've enjoyed Debian).  There's a ton of extra
packages that are required, so I install them all.  Then the fun begins.
I get this error that libgnome-vfs0_1.0.5-1.ximian... is trying to
overwrite /usr/lib/vfs/extfs/a, which is a file included in
gnome-vfs-extfs.  My install dies, and now I can't install anything with
apt-get.

More reading allowed me to see that with dselect I can tell apt not to
keep trying to install libgnome-vfs0.  I tried taking the
red-carpet.ximian.com out of sources.list, updating, and installing the
non-ximian libgnome-vfs0.  That seemed to work.  I uncommented
red-carpet.ximian.com, and tried to do it again, and I get the same
error.

For the RTFM's out there, where is the FM?  I have looked on Ximian's
site (no support at all), at debian.org (not half bad, great package
searching), and Google seems to not like me today.  Also, I believe I am
running a testing woody machine (though I'm still getting used to the
exact terminology).

Any help would be appreciated!

Jeremy