Re: X Fonts and Ximian Gnome

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 18:31, Jeremy Turner wrote:

> (2) After getting the X server working, I would like to install Gnome.
> AFAIK, the only(?) way to do this is with Ximian Gnome's installer,
> correct?

You don't say which debian version you use. Ximian does only support
stable, and for now that means potato, but this will probably change,
since woody will be the new stable soon.

If you use potato (I don't think this makes sense anymore on a desktop),
Ximian is a good way to go, since the potato gnome packages are ooold.
But, debian and ximian gnome packages don't mix due to different
packaging, so you should purge all gnome stuff from debian before
installing ximian gnome.

I would recommend to run woody, and simply use the gnome packages from
woody. To install them, dselect would be my tool of choice, since it
also shows you "recommends" and "suggests" (which apt-get does not), so
you have a better chance to find all the gnome packages you want

> I get this error that libgnome-vfs0_1.0.5-1.ximian... is trying to
> overwrite /usr/lib/vfs/extfs/a, which is a file included in
> gnome-vfs-extfs.  My install dies, and now I can't install anything with
> apt-get.

This is probably because you have mixed debian and ximian packages: Some
files are put in different packages by the respective package
maintainers, so you get a warning that package A wants to overwrite
files that are installed by package B. However, if you are sure you
didn't mix, it may only be an error in the ximian packages.
You can "dpkg -i --force-overwrite libgnome-vfs0_1.0.5-1.ximian.deb"
(see dpkg --force-help)

http://lists.debian.org/search.html

http://support.ximian.com/cgi-bin/ximian.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php
http://www.ximian.com/devzone/manuals/index.html

> Also, I believe I am
> running a testing woody machine (though I'm still getting used to the
> exact terminology).

Aaah, here it is. Well, Ximian does not support woody right now
(although it's possible to install it. I once had it and it worked
fine). Still, debian's gnome packages for woody are so good that I don't
see why one would want to install ximian. OTOH, when you plan to keep
running woody (and not switch to the new testing after woody has gone
stable), it may make sense to install ximian: if the release process
stays as it is, quite some time will pass until the
stable-release-after-woody.  In 2 year's time, the woody packages will
be as old as potato's are now, while ximian will regularly include the
newest gnome stuff
--

I did not vote for the Austrian government