Re: Dial Up Machine Configuration

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 02:05:13PM +0100, Dave Whiteley wrote:
[snip]
> Consider for example a time server. I would like to have it running to
> provide time synchronisation for all my machines, so I would like it
> to start at boot. However, I do not want it to dial up regularly,
> which would suggest that I should start it up at dial up.

Consider chrony which has ppp scripts for up/down behavior.  I've
been using it for years now without intervention...

> I am (thinking about) trying to devise scripts to control things.

For services that don't have up/down scripts for ppp already, you
may have to do this.  Not too hard...

> It should be possible to bring up services at boot, so that they only
> service the local domain. Then, on sucessful dialup, to restart them
> in a mode that will make use of the link. When the dialup is broken
> then it reverts to the original setting. Of course, this means that
> everything will start up at the same time, and they will all probably
> monopolise the phone link. So we need to prioritise the services and
> so allow the user who brought the link up to get reasonable service.
>
> Of course, I would like to be able to upgrade packages without having
> to re-edit all the scripts. I am sure that I am not the only person to
> want to do something like this.

Packages are supposed to ask before touching modified init scripts on
update...  Sometimes, your scripts may get broken by significant changes
though (so be prepared).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>