Re: starting a Debian based company..

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 00:20, dman wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:44:09PM -0700, faisal gillani wrote:
> | Well i wana start a company here in pakistan giving
> | out network salutions to the corporate companies ..
> | mainly because corporate companies mostly uses M$
> | solutions here .. so i was thinking as pakistan is a
> | developing country & M$ salution are very expensive
> | here .. so companies should benift here ..
>
> Cool.  That sounds like fun :-).
>
> | i wanted to clear one thing is Debian & other GNU
> | softwares free for this use ?
>
> Yep.  That's the whole idea of Free -- we can't restrict your usage
> and redistribution of the software.  The only restriction is that you
> can't hide a derivative work.  That is, you can't take the source code
> we have given for free, change it a little, and then not make those
> changed available.  You're still free to charge money for it, as long
> as the changes are also Freely available.

Just a point of clarification: you only have to release the source for
your changes if you distribute the altered software to a third
party--internal use is fine, which I suppose covers changes made by
hired consultants. On the other hand, most people find that having their
code bug-searched for free is a strong incentive to contribute any
changes back to the community.

T.