Apache?? problem

I'm converting an intranet server from RH to Debian and have run into a
problem with Apache.

On our intranet is a web page that let's users print various documents,
via a simple Python CGI.  The CGI uses the os.system() function with the
appropriate command line in the call.

Curiously, the documents get printed, but then Apache announces an
internal server error. If I could find a log of the error I'd have some
clues, but I can't find were it logs to any of the expected places.
There is /var/log/apache/error-log, but it only gives me the following
when I restart Apache:

[Tue May 7 10:38:05 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux
configured -- resuming normal operations [Tue May 7 10:38:05 2002]
[notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/lib/apache/suexec) [Tue
May 7 10:38:05 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default:  sysvsem)

In /var/log/messages I get the following when the error occurs.

May  7 10:34:10 knuth -- MARK --

Any one with clues?

--
Sincerely,