Re: cups hangs when defining a printer

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 05:59:34PM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> I've been banging my head against setting up my new printer all afternoon,
> and just when I thought I had it I ran into an error that has me stumped.
>
> I'm trying to set up CUPS for my printer, and the error (as far as I can
> tell) has nothing to do with the printer.  CUPS hangs when I try to
> add the printer, whether I do it via the command line (lpadmin -p epson -E
> -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -m escp2-c40ux.ppd), or via the web interface.
>
> The web interface is more satisfying, because then I can select the driver
> I want (from the cupsys-driver-gimpprint package) before it freezes, with
> about 60% of my cpu time eaten by cupsd, and 40% by admin.cgi.
> Interestingly admin.cgi gets run (and takes around 40% of cpu time) even
> when running from the command line.
>
> Meanwhile, /var/log/cups/access_log fills up quite rapidly with
>
> rof - droundy [06/May/2002:17:55:52 -0400] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 401 0
>
> and keeps getting rotated.  It's a good thing cups does the rotation
> itself, or /var would be full by now, I think.
>
> /var/log/cups/error.log only shows
>
> I [06/May/2002:17:55:16 -0400] Started "/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/admin.cgi" (pid=19
> 467)
>
> I am at a complete loss here, and would greatly appreciate any pointers
> anyone could give me.

I have a bit more info about my problem with CUPS here.  I have defined my
printer, except for the driver part by creating the printers.conf file
manually (based on the example), which is then recognized by the web
interface.  However, cupsd still hangs with the same errors if I try to
modify the printer configuration, or even add it to a 'class'.

It turns out that lpadmin doesn't hang the computer after I kill it
(ctrl-C), and doesn't run admin.cgi.  But it is freezes up just as much
while it's running, and never completes.  In this case about 60% cpu is
used by lpadmin, and around 40% by cupsd.

On the plus side (if you can call it that), cups is definitely able to talk
with my printer.  If I tell it to print a test page, it spews out lots of
blank pages.  No big surprise that it doesn't print properly, since I
haven't been able to tell cups what driver to use, since it freezes however
I try...
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/