Re: OpenOffice.org & Woody

On Mon May 06, 2002 at 12:20:54PM -0700, craigw wrote:
> On Mon May 06, 2002 at 03:07:12PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> > %% craigw <craigw@lvcm.com> writes:
> >
> >   c> What, are you on drugs or something? Come on man, are you pullin' my leg
> >   c> or what? It's a pig. A bloated, stuck pig. I see no problem with the
> >   c> operating speed, but the loading speed sucks.
> >
> >   c> -They removed the "integrated desktop" (which I, obviously an oddball,
> >   c> happen to like. I might be the only person in the world who does. But I
> >   c> leave StarOffice running, it's on its own desktop, there are certain
> >   c> things I do with it, I don't have to wait for it to launch since I just
> >   c> leave it running...)
> >
> >   c> after all this, the damn thing takes forever to launch.
> >
> > Wait, I don't get it... if you were happy leaving StarOffice running in
> > the background, why don't you do the same thing with OpenOffice?
> >
> > If OO is already started then bringing up new documents in it doesn't
> > take very long at all.
> >
> yes, quite true.
> the reasons I still use 5.2:
> 1. the calendar. as stated, I am still using StarOffice Schedule
> 2. the integrated desktop. as stated, I happen to like it. I wish that
> it were available as an option in the new product.
> 3. stability. OpenOffice seems prone to crashing when opening Microshaft
> crap that it can't handle. 5.2 is solid as a rock.  If anything, it may
> refuse to open the
> document, or open it and render it poorly. But it will not crash.
> OpenOffice will crash. Then you wind up sitting and waiting as you
> restart it. I do not download & install nightly builds of OpenOffice.
> Perhaps this has improved in the past month. I expect that if it hasn't,
> it will.

P.S. It has been known to happen that I have worked on a document for
several days without saving, or even all week, then saved on Friday. Not
common practice, of course, but it has been known to happen. When I
realize that I have done such a thing, I thank my lucky stars that I am
using a stable program on a stable operating system.

--
-CraigW