Re: OpenOffice.org & Woody

%% craigw <craigw@lvcm.com> writes:

  >> 3. stability. OpenOffice seems prone to crashing when opening Microshaft
  >> crap that it can't handle. 5.2 is solid as a rock.  If anything, it
  >> may refuse to open the document, or open it and render it
  >> poorly. But it will not crash.  OpenOffice will crash. Then you
  >> wind up sitting and waiting as you restart it. I do not download &
  >> install nightly builds of OpenOffice.  Perhaps this has improved in
  >> the past month. I expect that if it hasn't, it will.

I haven't had any problems with 641C or the newly released 1.0.  Maybe
the people who send me docs aren't knowledgeable enough to create such
difficult ones :).

  c> P.S. It has been known to happen that I have worked on a document
  c> for several days without saving, or even all week, then saved on
  c> Friday. Not common practice, of course, but it has been known to
  c> happen. When I realize that I have done such a thing, I thank my
  c> lucky stars that I am using a stable program on a stable operating
  c> system.

OpenOffice has an "auto-save" feature anyway.  This saved my bacon a few
times back in the bad old 638 days when crashes were not uncommon on my
box.