Re: USB & 2. 4 kernels

#include <hallo.h>
Thomas R. Shemanske wrote on Mon May 06, 2002 um 07:51:57AM:
> USB modules (for keyboard and mouse (HID devices)) need to be compiled
> staticly into the kernel (not loaded as modules) so they are available

With some keyboard/controller combinations, the drivers hangs at
boot-time or spews with confusing "timeout" messages if the drivers are
compiled staticaly into the kernel, but work fine as modules.

> at boot time.  You can do this with dynamically modules but only if you
> run an initrd kernel (such as the stock Debian kernels).

Bla. Or you put the needed drivers into /etc/modules (as done by
installer when using bf2.4 flavor).

> I have had no problems with USB and the 2.4.18 kernel, but I only use
> mass storage devices.

Well, HID driver are more touchy.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Real programmers don't comment their code.  It was hard to write, it
should be hard to understand.