Re: USB & 2. 4 kernels

USB modules (for keyboard and mouse (HID devices)) need to be compiled staticly into the kernel (not loaded as modules) so they are available at boot time. You can do this with dynamically modules but only if you run an initrd kernel (such as the stock Debian kernels).

Other USB modules such as mass storage can be loaded as modules. Some other poster mentioned hotplug, and there are some USB managers (usbmgr, usbutils) which you should look at.

One of these packages (I believe) mounts the device:
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
which seems necessary.

I have had no problems with USB and the 2.4.18 kernel, but I only use mass storage devices.

Cheers,

Tom

Bud Rogers wrote:

I have a couple of mostly woody boxes. Both have Logitech USB Marble Trackman for mice. Both mice work well with 2.2.19 kernels. Yesterday I installed kernel-source-2.4.18 on one of the boxes and built a new kernel for it. I included all the relevant USB modules when I configured the kernel. The new kernel boots fine, X and KDE come up fine, but the Trackman doesn't work. AFAICT, I have the same modules loaded as with the 2.2. kernel. The only thing I find in dmesg or kern.log that seem unusual are the following:

May 3 14:09:24 mug kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
May  3 14:09:24 mug kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 3 14:09:24 mug kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110) May 3 14:09:24 mug kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 3
May  3 14:09:24 mug kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 3 14:09:24 mug kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)

My wife is also having usb problems with her Mandrake box running a 2.4.8 kernel. Are there issues with usb in 2.4? I read everything I could find about usb in /usr/src/linux/Documentation and poked around the archives a bit, but didn't find anything specific.