Re: KDE, sound, Woody.

On Monday 06 May 2002 9:24 am, DSC Siltec wrote:
> I have Woody KDE.  When I start up KDE, I get a the following poem,
>
> Informational\ Sound server informational message:\Error while
> initializing sound driver:\ device/dev/dsp can't be opened (No such
> device)\ The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
<snip>
> My sound card's details as reported by MS Win98, are as follows:
>
> PCI:  Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio  CODEC,
>                 INT 10 Mem 4038000-403FFFF

Does "lsmod" show the driver being loaded?
If not try "modprobe ymfpci"
(There are also ALSA and OSS drivers for this card you can try)
You may also need to add yourself to the "audio" group afterwards.
(Check that "audio" is indeed the group that owns /dev/dsp first with
ls -l /dev/dsp)
Then "adduser <your_username> audio"

all the best,
Robert_L