KDE, sound, Woody.

I have Woody KDE.  When I start up KDE, I get a the following poem,

Informational\ Sound server informational message:\Error while
initializing sound driver:\ device/dev/dsp can't be opened (No such
device)\ The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

Which, for free verse poetry is all very well and nice, and is very
communicative, but I would so like to have my sound card working.

 - - -

Now, I thought I had set everything up as much as I needed, but mayhap
I was wrong.  So I was hoping that someone could point me in the
direction
of either troubleshooting man pages (or howtos), or else give me some
troubleshooting and fixing pointers.

[I'm a newbie, but I'm getting my system together little by little.]

My sound card's details as reported by MS Win98, are as follows:

PCI:  Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio  CODEC,
                INT 10 Mem 4038000-403FFFF
      Yamaha DS-XG PCI Gameport ,
                I/O 201-201
      Yamaha DX-XG PCI Legacy sound system,
                INT 5, DMA 1, IO 220-22F,388-38F, 330-331

It would be nice to have not only sound output, but sound input working
as well.

   - Thanks.

On previous questions I have been asked my name.

My name is Michael, and I am a Windows user.  I have started to wean
myself
of Windows, but still have a dual boot situation (Loadlin) and mentality
(push key, get coffee.  Check computer, use restroom, get more coffee.)
Once I used to program, but that was back in the DOS days; now I am a
Windows junky, and no good to myself or anybody else.  ( Gosh, this
sounds just like Windows Anonymous. )

 - Michael
   dscpubl@siltec.lt
   [If you REPLY, then the followup will take care of getting a copy to
me.
If you craft your own original message, please cc: me]