Re: USB & 2. 4 kernels

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 07:51:57AM -0400, Thomas R. Shemanske wrote:
> USB modules (for keyboard and mouse (HID devices)) need to be compiled
> staticly into the kernel (not loaded as modules) so they are available
> at boot time.  You can do this with dynamically modules but only if you
> run an initrd kernel (such as the stock Debian kernels).

I'm fairly sure that this isn't true, since I was using the HID
drivers as modules for both my mouse and keyboard for a while ('til my
bloody mouse died).

> Other USB modules such as mass storage can be loaded as modules.  Some
> other poster mentioned hotplug, and there are some USB managers (usbmgr,
> usbutils) which you should look at.

Hotplug is definitely a classy piece if code; I've onyl tried it with
the above mentioned keyboard and mouse, but it certainly detected them
and modprobe the right modules.

> One of these packages (I believe) mounts the device:
> /proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
> which seems necessary.

I'm not sure if this is neccessary or not, but it does provide some
interesting information.  It's not mounted by any piece of software;
it's a normal filesystem mounted by mount(8).  I have the following
line in my /etc/fstab:
none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
which loads it up fine.  AFAIK this requires the 'preliminary USB
device file system' to be compiled into the kernel.

-rob