Re: SoftwareRaid + Root + Boot with FastTrak100

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 12:20:56AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Moin guennelk!
> guennelk@physik.fu-berlin.de schrieb am Sunday, den 05. May 2002:
>
> > PROMISE Fastrak100 IDE-PCI-card w/ 4x 60Gb IBM HDDs.
> >
> > I first installed the minimal-System on an extra HDD (hda), compiled a
> > customised Kernel, set up the Raid and moved the System onto the Raid.
>
> Why? Woody-Install with bf2.4-based boot-floppies does support ATARAID
> out-of-the-box.

I know but not the FastTrak special or only as module

> > So far, it works fine, even booting of the Raid (I have a
> > RAID1-boot-partition and a RAID5-root-partition) using LILO works.
>
> Uhm, with which driver? IIRC does the kernel driver support the RAID0
> mode only.

No, I only want to use RAID1 and RAID5.
I use the Debian kernel-sources-2.4.18 to compile and did not get any
extras.

part of config.gz:

#
# Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
#
CONFIG_MD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y
# CONFIG_MD_LINEAR is not set
# CONFIG_MD_RAID0 is not set
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=y
CONFIG_MD_RAID5=y
CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LVM is not set

# IDE chipset support/bugfixes
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set	(I just noticed this, but I
# 					think it just changes the Boot order,
#					anyway I give it a try)
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_PIIX_TUNING=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB=y
# CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC=y

> > The only thing I do not get to work is booting without the extra HDD.
> > If I use the MBR of the extra HDD (hda) for booting the System starts perfect,
> > I even can change from this MBR (hda) to the MBR on the Raid-Disk (hde)
>
> No. If you use RAID mode, you must install into MBR of the Raid disk,
> /dev/ataraid/...

Thats what I did. lilo.conf:

disk=/dev/hda
	bios=0x80
disk=/dev/ataraid/d0
	bios=0x81 sectors=63 heads=255 cylinders=29904
partition=/dev/ataraid/d0p1
	start=63

boot=/dev/hda	(it shoud be /dev/ataraid/d0 or /dev/hde ?)
root=/dev/md0

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img

other=/dev/hde
    label=RAID-MBR

So I can load with /dev/hda and then change to /dev/hde or is it
/dev/ataraid/d0

> > I turned of the SCSI onboard in the Main-BIOS and define an Array in the
> > RAID-BIOS, then my BIOS trys to boot of hde, if I set the Main-BIOS to
> > SCSI boot, but LILO crashes after LI
>
> So what now, hde or ataraid?

I would like to use SoftwareRAID only, but I think to boot at least with
LILO, I first have to use ataraid but I am not sure.

My fstab:

/dev/hde2       none            swap    sw               0	0
/dev/hdf1       none            swap    sw               0	0
/dev/hdg2       none            swap    sw               0	0
/dev/hdh1       none            swap    sw               0	0
/dev/md0        /               reiserfs defaults        0	0
/dev/md4        /boot           ext2    defaults         1	1
/dev/md1        /usr            reiserfs defaults        0	0
/dev/md2        /var            reiserfs defaults        0	0
/dev/md3        /home           ext3    defaults         1	2

My raidtab:

#/boot
raiddev /dev/md4
	raid-level                  1
	nr-raid-disks               2
	nr-spare-disks              0
	chunk-size                  32
	persistent-superblock       1

	device          /dev/hde1
	raid-disk               0
	device          /dev/hdg1
	raid-disk		1

#/
raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level		5
	nr-raid-disks		4
	nr-spare-disks		0
	chunk-size		128
	persistent-superblock	1
	parity-algorithm	left-symmetric

        device          /dev/hde5
        raid-disk               0
        device          /dev/hdf5
        raid-disk               1
        device          /dev/hdg5
        raid-disk		2
	device		/dev/hdh5
	raid-disk		3

#/usr
raiddev	/dev/md1
	raid-level		5
	nr-raid-disks		4
	nr-spare-disks		0						        chunk-size		128
	persistent-superblock	1
	parity-algorithm	left-symmetric

	device		/dev/hde6
	raid-disk		0
	device		/dev/hdf6
	raid-disk		1
	device		/dev/hdg6
        raid-disk               2
        device		/dev/hdh6
	raid-disk               3

#/var
raiddev /dev/md2
	raid-level              5
	nr-raid-disks           4
	nr-spare-disks		0
	chunk-size		128
	persistent-superblock	1
	parity-algorithm	left-symmetric

	device		/dev/hde7
	raid-disk		0
	device		/dev/hdf7
	raid-disk		1
	device		/dev/hdg7
	raid-disk		2
	device		/dev/hdh7
	raid-disk		3

#/home
raiddev /dev/md3
	raid-level		5
	nr-raid-disks           4
	nr-spare-disks          0
	chunk-size              128
	persistent-superblock   1
	parity-algorithm	left-symmetric

	device          /dev/hde8
	raid-disk		0
	device		/dev/hdf8
	raid-disk		1
	device		/dev/hdg8
	raid-disk		2
	device		/dev/hdh8
	raid-disk		3

>> Or does that not work at all without an extra HDD?
>
> Well, I implemented and tested booting of ATARAID on a Highpoint Raid
> controller (very similar), works fine with Woody now.

Do you have the controller onboard or a PCI-card ?
Do you use Lilo or any other Boot-Loader ?

cu klaus