Re: SoftwareRaid + Root + Boot with FastTrak100

Moin guennelk!
guennelk@physik.fu-berlin.de schrieb am Sunday, den 05. May 2002:

> PROMISE Fastrak100 IDE-PCI-card w/ 4x 60Gb IBM HDDs.
>
> I first installed the minimal-System on an extra HDD (hda), compiled a
> customised Kernel, set up the Raid and moved the System onto the Raid.

Why? Woody-Install with bf2.4-based boot-floppies does support ATARAID
out-of-the-box.

> So far, it works fine, even booting of the Raid (I have a
> RAID1-boot-partition and a RAID5-root-partition) using LILO works.

Uhm, with which driver? IIRC does the kernel driver support the RAID0
mode only.

> The only thing I do not get to work is booting without the extra HDD.
> If I use the MBR of the extra HDD (hda) for booting the System starts perfect,
> I even can change from this MBR (hda) to the MBR on the Raid-Disk (hde)

No. If you use RAID mode, you must install into MBR of the Raid disk,
/dev/ataraid/...

> I turned of the SCSI onboard in the Main-BIOS and define an Array in the
> RAID-BIOS, then my BIOS trys to boot of hde, if I set the Main-BIOS to
> SCSI boot, but LILO crashes after LI

So what now, hde or ataraid?

> Or does that not work at all without an extra HDD?

Well, I implemented and tested booting of ATARAID on a Highpoint Raid
controller (very similar), works fine with Woody now.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
-!- Gromitt_ is now known as Gromitt