Problem with /etc/init.d/pcmcia

Can somebody explain the reasoning behind this bit of
/etc/init.d/pcmcia to me?

	    if [ -d /lib/modules/preferred ] ; then
		PC=/lib/modules/preferred/pcmcia
	    else
		PC=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/pcmcia
	    fi
	    KD=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/pcmcia
	    if [ -d $PC ] ; then
		echo -n " modules"
		/sbin/insmod $PC/pcmcia_core.o $CORE_OPTS
		/sbin/insmod $PC/$PCIC.o $PCIC_OPTS
		/sbin/insmod $PC/ds.o
	    elif [ -d $KD ] ; then
		/sbin/modprobe pcmcia_core
		/sbin/modprobe $PCIC
		/sbin/modprobe ds
	    else
		echo " module directory $PC not found."
		break
	    fi

Neither the "PC" nor the "KD" options works for me.

The "CP" branch fails because insmod is used instead of
modprobe, so modules required for the three explictly loaded
ones don't get auto-loaded.  Why isn't modprobe -t <whatever>
used?

The "KD" branch fails because the options specified in
/etc/default/pcmcia aren't passed to the modules. Why are the
options are ignored?

I'd be happy to submit a patch for the script, but since I
don't understand the purpose behind this section, I don't know
if my fix would break things in other situations.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com