procmail being greedy?

Yesterday, procmail started bouncing mail from this list.  My delivery
system is fetchmail->exim->procmail, and I have debian-user filed into a
maildir format directory.

Here's the recipe that I use for debian-user:

    :0
    * ^X-Mailing-List:.*debian-user
    {
        # Count the number of lines, if necessary (for maildir)
        :0
        * ! ^Lines:
        {
            # Count number of lines
            :0 bw
            LINES=|grep -c ^

            :0 fhw
            | formail -a "Lines: $LINES"
        }

        :0
        $LISTDIR/debian-user/
    }

I currently have the line counting lines commented out, since they are
failing:

/var/log/syslog:
May  2 17:35:27 evo procmail[1694]: Out of memory as I tried to allocate 134582620 bytes
[always the same amount of memory]

~/.procmail/procmail.log
>From debian-user-request@lists.debian.org Thu May 02 20:46:10 2002
  Folder: **Bounced**							      0
procmail: Out of memory
buffer 0: "grep"
buffer 1: "grep -c ^"
[always the same command]

This recipe was working fine for the first week or so after I set it up, but
just started failing recently. (Though it doesn't fail consistently.)  My
system doesn't appear to be under any unusual load.

I'm using procmail v3.22-4, from woody.

Thanks for any suggestions!