Re: Getting mozilla going...

Mike Fontenot <mlfasf@attbi.com> writes:

> Actually, the more I look at the advice to patch up
> mozilla so that it can handle java applets, the less
> I understand the advice:
>
>  "unzip jre.xpi -d $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/plugins 'jre-image-i386/*'
>  ln -s jre-image-i386/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so ."

That's basically what I said, assuming that xpi files are just zip files
with a different extension (which wouldn't surprise me). Mozilla has a
built in installer for xpi files, though, so all that shouldn't be
necessary.

> I don't have "unzip" on my potato system...just "gunzip", and

apt-get install unzip (apt-get install zip, if you also want to create
archives).

> if I do a "gunzip -c jre.xpi >out_file_name", it says that
>
>   "jre.xpi has more than one entry--rest ignored",
>
> and there is nothing in the output file "out_file_name".

gzip doesn't support winzip's format... for licensing reasons, I
assume.

> Also, I don't understand his link: "ln -s f1 f2" establishes a
> soft link from the new name f2 to the existing ordinary file f1,
> which doesn't make any sense to me with the syntax he gave.

I belive it's actually the other way 'round. From 'man ln':

SYNOPSIS
       ln [OPTION]... TARGET [LINK_NAME]
       ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY
       ln [OPTION]... --target-directory=DIRECTORY TARGET...

where "TARGET" is the existing file and "[LINK NAME]" is the optional
name of the new file to create (if not specified, it'll be the same as
the "TARGET").