woody install problems

  I used the woody_netinst-20020215-i386.iso and weverything worked fine
until the point when the basic system configuration started - I believe
that's part of the base, nothing to do with
woody_netinst-20020215-i386.iso itself.

  the problem is that at the point when the timezone and passwords are
configured the install script (IIRC it was basic-config) went into
neverending loop of configuring the time-zone and passwords over and
over...

  this is how the installation went:

  boot the cd: ok
  setup disk: ok
  setup kernel drivers: ok
  setup network: ok
  download base and some other stuff: ok
  reboot: ok

  at this point the base-config executes all the scripts in
/tmp/base-config-pid (pid is the pid of base-config), it's a simple loop
executing all the programs in /tmp/base-config-pid, two of them being
NNtimezone and NNpasswords (I don't remember exact names, NN stands for
two digits) and these two are executed over and over...

  the system is working but not completely configured, e.g. the
/apt/sources.list is empty (I think the default is not empty, even
though it's a long time since I installed debian) etc.

  I didn't see anything related to this on the list - is this a known
problem? I am not sure how to search the bug database (I checked package
'base'). Any ideas?

  TIA

	erik