Applications close by themselves with CPU under load.

Hello.

I have a problem with my Gnome-woody that is driving me crazy and i can't find the solution for the problem.

When my computer in running under high load, sometimes it's impossible to me to open certain applications. It appears to occur more often with  galeon, pan and opera (linked). The program appears at the beginning to go the right way, adding load to the CPU, as it is loading, but when I first see the main window (in Galeon, when i see the utility bar, or in pan, when i see the newsgroup list) the program immediately closes.

If i try to open these programs when the CPU is not under load, then they often (almost always) runs without problems. Sometimes the application ends opening at second or third attempt. Other times, it does not mind how many times you try to open them, they will never opens as long as the CPU is under load. Could anyone tell me which is the difference between the CPU being under load or not, in order to run a program?

I've reinstalled kernel (many times, trying different ones) and gnome, but that hasn't been helpful.

I've look for logs in /var/log but i've found nothing relevant. Even, i have tried to open Pan from console with the "-debug" option, but without results.

My system is a K6 (1st version) 233 mhz with 192 Mb of ram, 20 Gb, 128 of swap partition, 3dfx Banshee and two NICs, all of them functioning, apparently, without problems.

I would appreciate very much if you can tell me where i have to look or to tell me what is going wrong.

Thank you.