Re: printing to a remote debian host?

hi ya marin

> i appreciate your interest :)

wait till you see the bill :-)  hehehehe...

> heres the smb.conf

good

and since things are not working.... lets change stuff...

a.  am assuming the  debian box w/  the printer attached
    can print

b.  am assuming that windoze can see the debian box in its
    network neighborhood ??

c.  what is the output of:

	testparm
	testprns phaser /etc/printcap
	smbclient -U% -L localhost
	nmblookup WORKGROUP#1B

#
# and the problem you having.. is the last part..
#
d.  am assuming the debian or windoze/mac box cannot yet print??

see changes to smb.conf below..

have fun
alvin

> [global]
>    interfaces = 192.168.

change that to 192.168.1.0/24

ADD
----
     hosts allow = 192.168.1. localhost

>    printing = bsd
>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>    load printers = yes
>    guest account = mac
>    invalid users = root
>
> ; "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix account
> ;	in this server for every user accessing the server.
>    security = share
>
> ; Change this for the workgroup your Samba server will part of
>    workgroup = GRGROUP

i assume your network neighborhood on all yoru windoze box
is slso set to GRGROUP

>    server string = %h server (Samba %v)
>
> ; If you want Samba to log though syslog only then set the following
> ;	parameter to 'yes'. Please note that logging through syslog in
> ;	Samba is still experimental.
>    syslog only = no
>
> ; We want Samba to log a minimum amount of information to syslog. Everything
> ;	should go to /var/log/{smb,nmb} instead. If you want to log through
> ;	syslog you should set the following parameter to something higher.
>    syslog = 0;
>
> ; This socket options really speed up Samba under Linux, according to my
> ;	own tests.
>    socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096
>
> ; Passwords are encrypted by default. This way the latest Windows 95 and NT
> ;	clients can connect to the Samba server with no problems.
>    encrypt passwords = true

ADD
----
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

> ; It's always a good idea to use a WINS server. If you want this server
> ;	to be the WINS server for your network change the following parameter
> ;	to "yes". Otherwise leave it as "no" and specify your WINS server
> ; 	below (note: only one Samba server can be the WINS server).
> ;	Read BROWSING.txt for more details.
>
>    wins support = no
>
> ; If this server is not the WINS server then specify who is it and uncomment
> ;	next line.
> ;   wins server = 172.16.0.10
>
> ; Please read BROWSING.txt and set the next four parameters according
> ;	to your network setup. There is no valid default so they are commented
> ;	out.
> ;   os level = 0
> ;   domain master = no
> ;   local master = no
> ;   preferred master = no
>
> ; What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
> ;	to IP addresses

;;;    name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

TAKE OUT name resolve ...

> ; This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
>    dns proxy = no
>
> ; Name mangling options
>
>    preserve case = yes
>    short preserve case = yes
>
> ; This boolean parameter controlls whether Samba attempts to sync. the Unix
> ;	password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password in the
> ;	/etc/samba/smbpasswd file is changed.

;;;   unix password sync = yes

> ; For Unix password sync. to work on a Debian GNU/Linux system, the following
> ;	parameters must be set (thanks to Augustin Luton
> ;	<aluton@hybrigenics.fr> for sending the correct chat script for
> ;	the passwd program in Debian Potato).
;;;    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;;;    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

for now... take out

unix passwd sync
passwd program
passwd chat

> ; The following parameter is useful only if you have the linpopup package
> ;	installed. The samba maintainer and the linpopup maintainer are
> ;	working to ease installation and configuration of linpopup and samba.
> ;   message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s' &
>
> ; The default maximum log file size is 5 MBytes. That's too big so this
> ;	next parameter sets it to 1 MByte. Currently, Samba rotates log
> ;	files (/var/log/{smb,nmb} in Debian) when these files reach 1000 KBytes.
> ;	A better solution would be to have Samba rotate the log file upon
> ;	reception of a signal, but for now on, we have to live with this.
>
>    log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
>    max log size = 1000
>    lock directory = /var/lock/samba
>
>    obey pam restrictions = yes
>
> [uploads]
>    comment = Upload Directory
>    path = /upload
>    writable = true
>    browsable = yes
>    guest ok = yes
>

> [home]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    path = /home
>    security = user
>    read only = no
>    browseable = yes
>    guest ok = no
>    create mode = 0750
>
> ; By default, the home directories are exported read only. Change next
> ;	parameter to "no" if you want to be able to write to them.
> ;   read only = no
>
> ; File creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to
> ;	create files with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
> ;   create mask = 0775
>
> ; Directory creation mask is set to 0700 for security reasons. If you want to
> ;	create dirs. with group=rw permissions, set next parameter to 0775.
> ;   directory mask = 0775

remove printers

#> [printers]
#>    comment = All Printers
#>    security = server
#>    path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
#>    browseable = no
#>    printable = yes
#>    public = yes
#>    writable = no
#>    create mode = 0700
#>
#> [phaser]
[printers]
>    comment = Tektronix Phaser 560
>    security = share
>    use client driver = yes
###    path = /var/spool/lpd/phaser

# try this path
   path = /var/spool/samba

>    printer name = phaser
>    writable = yes
>    public = yes
>    printable = yes
###    print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -h -P %p %s

Add these

   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r  %s ;  rm %s
   printer = phaser
   printing = BSD
   read only = yes

c ya