Re: poweroff wont poweroff

On Tue Apr 30, 2002 at 10:24:43AM -0500, Jamin W.Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:33:03 -0500
> "Thomas H. George,,," <georgeacct@spininternet.com> wrote:
>
> > shutdown -h now switches to runlevel 0 and performs an orderly shutdown
> > ending with the message power down.  That other operating? system can
> > turn the computer off.
>
> You don't meantion what kernel version you're using, but on my Woody
> system with 2.4.x kernel's I found that I needed to add apm to my
> "/etc/modules" so that the apm module is always loaded on boot.  Once the
> apm module was loaded, the "shutdown -h" or "poweroff" command was capable
> of powering off my ATX systems.

I have the same problem on a Compaq. This box has RedHat 7.2, Mandrake
8.2, Debian (mostly)Potato with a hand rolled 2.4.18, Corel 1.2 with a
hand rolled 2.2.18, and Windoze 98. They all have apm support but
Windoze is the only one that can power down.

I blame it on Compaq's extremely crappy BIOS.

Here is a message I see during boot:
apm: BIOS not found

I don't know if there's any way to fix it on this machine, but I just
resigned myself to living with it.
--
-CraigW