Re: What to ditch on small disk system?

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:40:15AM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:

> > It would be nice to trim it down some without losing too much
> > functionality. Any opinions on these candidates for the ax?
> >
> >  * /usr/share/locale 7MB
>
> Have a look at the "localepurge" package. Haven't tried it myself (yet)
> though.

Thanks, I didn't know about that one.

> Add /usr/share/info to your list.

Good catch.  It's not too big, but it'll help.

> >  * console-data ??
> >
> >     Ditch most of the keymaps and fonts.  Box won't have a
> >     console most of the time anyway.
>
> You may also want to keep an eye on the size of /var/log. Can easily be
> a dozen of Mb's.

Yup, I've been thinking about a couple different ways to trim
down log files.

> If space is still a problem then install another disk.

That's not an option, though I can jump from a 128M "disk"
(compact flash, actually) to a 256M one, but there's a cost
impact.  As long as I can get it down below 90M or so (so it's
smaller than Windows-NTE).  If I can't come up with a
reasonably useful system that's smaller than NT, then I'm going
to have to put up with a lot of snickering.

Too bad webmin burns 15MB+ of disk space.  I don't think most
people are going to use it, but web-based admin is a big plus in
the eyes of marketing.

> Failing that, start feeling uneasy and look at:
>
> - keep tabs on how much swap space is used. Then decide on the minimum
>   amount of swap needed, leaving the rest for filesystems.

So far I've been running without swap.  I've got more RAM than
disk, so swap doesn't make much sense.

> - Apply duster in /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

Didn't know about that one either.

> - *really, really* tight on space: clear out /var/lib/apt/lists
>   after each install.

Yup -- done that.  Saved almost 10MB.

> You probably want to run apt-get update before the

Right.  I'll make a note that doing apt-get update/upgrade will
require an 10MB of disk space temporarily.

> - *really, really, really, really badly* tight on space, remove apt.

Not that tight!

>   dpkg will do fine if you don't mind downloading and sorting out
>   dependencies by hand :-)

Nah.  The system still needs to be administratable in a
somewhat "normal" manner.  Losing apt would be too much of a

> > If a user requires anything I delete, he can always re-install
> > it (I'll leave dpkg, apt, and frieds)...
>
> You're not letting everybody roam as root, are you !?

Bad choice of words on my part.  By "user" I mean the eventual
owner (and administrator) of the box.

Thanks for the pointers!

--
Grant Edwards