Re: What to ditch on small disk system?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 05:51:33PM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I've got a stripped down Woody system that's currently using
> about 100MB of disk space.  What I've got now is the "base"
> package (no tasks selected) with a few packages added for
> specific requirements (ssh, webmin, dial-in-ppp).
>
> It would be nice to trim it down some without losing too much
> functionality. Any opinions on these candidates for the ax?
>
>  * /usr/share/locale 7MB
>
>     I'd give the user an option to pick a locale, and then
>     whack all the rest.

Have a look at the "localepurge" package. Haven't tried it myself (yet)
though.

>  * groff-base, manpages, man-db, /usr/share/doc, /usr/share/man  10-12MB
>
>     This is intended as a runtime-only machine. Anybody doing
>     any sort of development or admin would be expected to have
>     a full-up system with all the man/doc stuff on it.

Add /usr/share/info to your list.

>  * /usr/share/modconf  2MB
>
>     Ditch all languages except one?  Don't know if the savings
>     are worth the effort.
>
>  * /usr/lib/gconv  ??
>
>     Probably ought to find out what it is, before I whack it,
>     but anything to do with EBCDIC can probably go.  :)
>
>  * console-data ??
>
>     Ditch most of the keymaps and fonts.  Box won't have a
>     console most of the time anyway.

You may also want to keep an eye on the size of /var/log. Can easily be
a dozen of Mb's.

If space is still a problem then install another disk. Failing that,
start feeling uneasy and look at:

- keep tabs on how much swap space is used. Then decide on the minimum
  amount of swap needed, leaving the rest for filesystems.

- Apply duster in /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

- *really, really* tight on space: clear out /var/lib/apt/lists
  after each install. You probably want to run apt-get update before the

- *really, really, really, really badly* tight on space, remove apt.
  dpkg will do fine if you don't mind downloading and sorting out
  dependencies by hand :-)

> If a user requires anything I delete, he can always re-install
> it (I'll leave dpkg, apt, and frieds)...

You're not letting everybody roam as root, are you !?

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com