Re: kmail and console mailers

On Tue Apr 30, 2002 at 11:57:09PM +0200, Thorsten Haude wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * craigw <craigw@lvcm.com> [02-04-30 18:25]:
> >On Tue Apr 30, 2002 at 10:36:38AM +0200, Thorsten Haude wrote:
> >> * Zdzislaw A. Kaleta <sanskryt@poczta.onet.pl> [02-04-30 09:23]:
> >> My Fetchmail feeds the mails to the local MTA, which in turn uses a
> >> MDA to deliver it to mboxes (the format KMail uses) in ~/Mail.

> >> Mutt can read mboxes, but Mutt cannot 'get' the mail there. Use
> >> Fetchmail.
> >I use mutt to fetch all my POP & IMAP mail. The POP mail all gets put in
> >mboxes in ~/Mail, which is where my kmail looks.
> Ok, so I lied. Mutt knows POP3, but nobody recommends it.

I do. I highly recommend it. If you don't have any fancy needs for
complicated mail handling.

> Even Mutt's documentation talks about Fetchmail.

Here's what it says:
"If you need more functionality you should consider using a
   specialized program, such as fetchmail "

> You shouldn't fetch IMAP accounts, that would defeat the purpose.

Figure of speech, dude. The IMAP mail stays where it is, The POP mail
all gets put in mboxes in ~/Mail.

> >They seem to get along fairly well.
> They do, once you tell Mutt about KMail's peculiarities. (Mainly
> excluding KMail's index files from Mutt's $mailboxes.)

Not sure what you mean here. I didn't do anything special; mutt doesn't
seem to see the dotfiles. However, I felt a little irresponsible after
sending my original post which claimed that kmail & mutt get along fine.
The fact is that I rarely use kmail, and when I do use kmail, I
don't delete mail, or move letters around, etc., nor do I expect all the
mail to be properly flagged as "read", "unread", etc. In other words, I
suspect that their may be some issues, but it works for me.

--
-CraigW