Re: Getting mozilla going...

"Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:42:25 -0600
> "Mike Fontenot" <mlfasf@attbi.com> wrote:
>
> > I just installed mozilla from potato.  When I first
> > executed it (from my non-root login), it appeared
> > to be setting MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME to /usr/lib/mozilla
> > (as well as setting various other environmental
> > variables).  But, even after a reboot, that variable
> > isn't set, either under my non-root login, or under
> > the root login.
> (snip)
> >
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin
> > MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla
> >   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla
> >      LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla:/usr/lib/mozilla/components
> >        SHLIB_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla
> >           LIBPATH=/usr/lib/mozilla
> >        ADDON_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla
> >       MOZ_PROGRAM=/usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin
> >       MOZ_TOOLKIT=
> >         moz_debug=0
> >      moz_debugger=
>
> The above items are simply environment variables.  They are created when
> Mozilla is started. They are not permanent.  The fact that they aren't
> there after a reboot is quite normal, they shouldn't be.  What problem are
> you experiencing or more specifically, what are you attempting to
> accomplish?

They will also only be set in the instance of the shell you (or the
script) set them in. So if you start mozilla from a terminal in X, the
environment variables will only be available from within that terminal
and any terminals you run from it (since their shells will inherit the
variables).
You also don't have to reboot Linux for your changes to take effect, in
case that's what you're thinking ;-)