EXT3 questions

Hi,

I'm experiencing with ext3 it appears I have some questions that maybe
anyone of you can answer:

- Is it possible to use ext3 for the root partition with the stock
  debian kernel? My ext3 roots work nicely with a hand made kernel but
  the stock Debian one just mounts the partition ext2. Isn't that what
  the initrd.img is for?

- I added ext3 to several partitions. All seem to work nicely. And on
  all execpt one the journal seems to be hidden. That is a ls -a does
  not show a .journal file. But on one partition an ls -a shows a file
  .journal. However, this partition also was mounted as EXT3 and
  everything seems to work nicely. Any idea why .journal is not moved
  away? Yes, I did run e2fsck on all of them.

BTW all systems in question are woody.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Michael

P.S.: Please CC me on replies.