Re: EXT3 questions

#include <hallo.h>
Michael Meskes wrote on Tue Apr 30, 2002 um 11:48:42AM:

> - Is it possible to use ext3 for the root partition with the stock
>   debian kernel? My ext3 roots work nicely with a hand made kernel but

It should work with any of Herberts 2.4.x-* kernels,-bf2.4 and
2.2.20-udma100-ext3. IIRC you have to rebuild the initrd (for
initrd-based kernels) once.

>   the stock Debian one just mounts the partition ext2. Isn't that what
>   the initrd.img is for?

How did you check this? Do not trust "mount", look in /proc/mounts.

> - I added ext3 to several partitions. All seem to work nicely. And on
>   all execpt one the journal seems to be hidden. That is a ls -a does
>   not show a .journal file. But on one partition an ls -a shows a file
>   .journal. However, this partition also was mounted as EXT3 and

Recent Ext3 driver hides the file, no matter how it was created. If you
still see it, it is either a bug, or the partition is mounted with Ext2.

>   everything seems to work nicely. Any idea why .journal is not moved
>   away? Yes, I did run e2fsck on all of them.

As said, please check with /proc/mounts and report the problem to the
ext3-users mailing list.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Windows-Air:
Der Check-In ist super-einfach, das Terminal bunt, die Angestellten alle