Re: imap - ssl

* Tom Cook (tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au) [020430 00:06]:
> On  0, Tom Allison <tallison1@twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> > I think I'll start simple.
> >
> > I would like to install an imap server.
> > If possible, I would like to do SSL-imap.  But the description to the
> > courier-ssl package says I have to provide a purchased X509 compliant
> > certificate.
> > Ok, I don't have the  money just for me and a few friends.  So does
> > anyone have any alternatives to suggest?  Can courier-ssl work without
> > the fance certs using something simple like mozilla?
>
> Can't you generate your own certificate?  There's no good reason
> someone will trust it, but at least you can encrypt your mail
> sessions...

Yes, you can. And of course, there's plenty of good reasons people will
trust it: only your friends will be using it, they trust you, and you
tell them it's cool =) The real main issue here is that the major
clients in use today usually give warnings when using a certificate not
signed by a "trusted" political partner^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H certificate
authority like Veri$ign.

> Don't ask me how, 'cause I don't know, except for that there is a tool
> that comes with java that will generate certificates.  Will gnupg do
> this sort of thing?

openssl will. Also look into stunnel, which will wrap any regular imap
daemon into an SSL socket. The stunnel documentation should also tell
you how to generate a certificate with openssl. It should also be in the
list archives, and in a HOWTO somewhere, but if you need help, I can go
look at my system log to see the command I used when I was setting up my
imap/ssl server -- just ask.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml