Re: imap - ssl

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Vineet Kumar wrote:

> > Can't you generate your own certificate?  There's no good reason
> > someone will trust it, but at least you can encrypt your mail
> > sessions...
>
> Yes, you can. And of course, there's plenty of good reasons people will
> trust it: only your friends will be using it, they trust you, and you
> tell them it's cool =) The real main issue here is that the major
> clients in use today usually give warnings when using a certificate not
> signed by a "trusted" political partner^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H certificate
> authority like Veri$ign.

Yep.  Other than that annoying popup mozilla etc. gives you there is
nothing wrong with self-signed certificates.

> openssl will. Also look into stunnel, which will wrap any regular imap
> daemon into an SSL socket. The stunnel documentation should also tell
> you how to generate a certificate with openssl. It should also be in the
> list archives, and in a HOWTO somewhere, but if you need help, I can go
> look at my system log to see the command I used when I was setting up my
> imap/ssl server -- just ask.

All the IMAP servers in Debian--cyrus, courier, and uw, have SSL versions
now so using stunnel is a bit pointless.

FYI, uw-imapd-ssl will generate the certificate for you upon installation.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>