Posting dangerous code (was Re: Building kernel-image with kpkg)

on Mon, Apr 29, 2002, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Mon, Apr 22, 2002, Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) wrote:
> > begin  Grant Edwards quotation:

> > > It's not my fault, somebody told me to!
> >
> > This is a test.
> >
> > You can restore those files by typing:
> >
> > dpkg -P `apt-cache pkgnames`
>
> I suspect you're missing an operator term on your apt-cache command.

Ah.

"pkgnames" isn't, as I'd assumed, a metacharacter for "list of packages
to operate on", but a string literal which lists the names of all
packages installed on the system.  I rarely use anything but the 'show'
and 'search' directives.  'man apt-cache' will reveal a number of useful
options.  The '-P' option to dpkg is a shorthand for "purge".

Shawn's LART would purge all installed packages on a Debian system.

While a useful reminder that unexamined code should not be run on a live
system, I don't condone the posting of such examples without warning,
regardless the provocation.

That said, "It's not my fault, somebody told me to!" is among the Famous
Last Words.

Peace.

   KQED FM:  The bright spot on the dial:  http://www.kqed.org/fm/