Re: Will Gnome 2.0 make it inot Woody?

craigw <craigw@lvcm.com> writes:

> On Sun Apr 28, 2002 at 01:42:43PM -0500, Colin Watson wrote:

> > > It's pretty unfortunate that the Woody release is timed such that
> > > it'll miss out on XFree86 4.2, KDE 3, and Gnome 2.
> >
> > Foo. That sort of thing happens no matter when you time it.
> >
> And with Debian it is trivial to install those things when they finally
> do appear in your tree of choice, so the point of whether they "make it
> in time" is moot.

Have you tried installing a package from unstable onto potato
recently?  It certainly is not trivial.  When libc or perl change
soname in unstable, they tend to make most unstable packages
uninstallable in stable.

The only way for a newer package to be trivially easy to install in
stable is if a developer goes through the trouble of porting a package
to stable and making it available "unofficially."

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>