Re: Will Gnome 2.0 make it inot Woody?

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 10:54:19PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
> > >
> > > I doubt it. If the projections hold, it won't be released until after
> > > woody, and the GNOME 2 people have discouraged distributions from
> > > including it in official releases until it's released itself.
> >
> > It's pretty unfortunate that the Woody release is timed such that
> > it'll miss out on XFree86 4.2, KDE 3, and Gnome 2.
>
> Foo. That sort of thing happens no matter when you time it.

Not necessarily.  Projects like KDE tend to have reasonably predictable
releases, and their release estimates are usually accurate.  So, it
wouldn't be too tough to aim for a release date that would encompass the
latest releases of most of the major projects.  For example, a Debian
release targeted for June/July could include XF86 4.2, KDE 3, Gnome 2,
and Mozilla 1.0.  That would be a great release.

The real problem for Debian would be to actually hit a target release
date, since the project tends to drag its feet.

> > By the time it's finally released, it'll already be obsolete, and will
> > remain that way for ~2 years until the next release.
>
> Well, then, the answer is to help make the next release faster.

That's not so easy to do.  When I've gone through the RC bug lists for
Woody, it seemed as though a large majority of the bugs were for
non-i386 archs, to which I have no access.  And many of the other bugs
were so trivial to fix that submitting a patch to the BTS wouldn't even
be useful; the maintainer just needed to get around to fixing it, or
another dev needed to make an NMU.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>