Re: apt did not install

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 05:44:02PM -0500, Ted Goodridge, Jr wrote:
> For some reason apt did not install...I don't know why.  Am I going to
> have to reinstall the system?

[ I assume that you mean that you don't have apt installed ]

I believe that a standard debian install *should* have apt. Which
distribution of debian did you install? Any errors reported during the
install (I hope so) ?

Apt is not *required* as such. It is quite feasible to run a debian
system without apt, but such a system would be cumbersome to keep

As long as you have dpkg installed and can get hold of the .deb for apt,
then you can :

    # dpkg --install apt_xxxx.deb

Which leaves the problem of getting hold of the .deb file. Several
- Have a look in /var/cache/apt/archives
- find it on your CD's
- Go to http://packages.debian.org/apt and download it

Karl E. Jørgensen
... An rfc2324 advocate