Re: courier-imap and windows mail client

On 27 Apr 2002, Brian Nelson wrote:

> Yeah, Debian-specific documentation for courier is non-existent.  I
> despise when developers don't include a README that explains the default
> Debian configuration for a package.

Did you file a bug?  Or better yet a patch?

> That said, there is a courier-doc package that mirrors the documentation
> from the website.
>
> > Is there any way I can change it to use /var/mail/$USER for the INBOX
> > and normally-named directories under ~/Mail for subfolders?  I found
> > that if I create a subfolder named "foo" it will be stored in
> > ~/Maildir/.foo.
>
> AFAIK, the courier mail servers need to have all of the mail in a single
> directory.  It then follows the naming scheme "INBOX" at the top level
> (~/Maildir on the local file system), with folders named "INBOX.foo"
> (~/Maildir/.foo locally), and sub-folders within those named
> "INBOX.foo.bar" (~/Maildir/.foo.bar locally).
>
> uw-imapd will do what you're asking, but it's a shitty mail server.

Porquoi?  (Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you but I like to
know what people think.)

> > I also need recommendations for a win32 mail client that can handle
> > IMAP and preferrably gpg/pgp.

Outlook and Outlook Express are two entirely different programs.  Outlook
is not a good IMAP client (violates the spec in places.) but Outlook
Express isn't bad.  That's what I used when I used Windows.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>