The "proper" way to do TrueType fonts in Debian?

Please CC me on any reply as I'm not sub'd to this list. Thanks.

I used the msttcorefonts package to install the MS TrueType fonts on my
system. I have a few other TrueType fonts as well, but can't get things
to work correctly.

I install the fttools and ttmkfdir. Other than the MS fonts I installed,
I've added a few other TT fonts. However, only one of them shows up in
the fonts.dir file when I run either of these utilities. The other TT
fonts don't show up. Not to mention the fonts.scale file isn't touced at
all.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get the fonts.scale to update correctly
and the other TT fonts to get in the mix? The fonts in question that
didn't show up are primer.ttf, nasaliza.ttf. a font called dirtydoz.ttf
did show up in fonts.scale.

On a similar note, I've installed a couple additional PCF fonts (nexus,
outcast, zaber, & sabvga) installed in my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
directory. They are pure pcf files and not compressed like the other
files in that directory. mkfontdir includes these fonts in the fonts.dir
file (but again not fonts.scale). The problem is I can't see any of
these fonts in many applications (such as gnome terminal). They just
don't show up in the font listings. That font path shows up in my font
server config file: /etc/X11/fs/config. So I can't figure out why they
don't show up.

I even installed the xfont-nexus package and nexus STILL doesn't show up
in my GnomeTerminal as a font choice (though I seem to be able to run
Eterm -F nexus and that works as far as I can tell).

Ideas on how to fix these problems? Pointers to some good docs on these
and the problems with TrueType and fonts.scale?

Thanks in advance.

    __   _                                           Carl B. Constantine
   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __                          duckwing@duckwing.ca
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  (2.4.18)              http://www.duckwing.ca
                                            PGP key available on request