Not necessarily nis related: Is the nis maintainer wrong?

The /etc/init.d/nis has the following lines:

#
#       Do we want ypbind to be started? On a laptop without ethernet
#       maybe not just yet - /etc/network/if-up.d will take care of it.
#
want_ypbind()
{
        # Started manually?
        if [ "" != "$manual" ]
        then
                return 0
        fi

        # ... some lines not copied

        # Right, assume /etc/network/if-up.d handles starting ypbind
        return 1
}

and

    # Set 'manual' to indicate if we were started by hand.
    case "$0" in
        *S??/*|*S???/*|*K??/*|*K???/*)
                manual=
                ;;
        *)
                manual=1
                ;;
    esac

The way I understand it is that he is trying to differentiate between
running the script by init or at any other time. However shouldn't he
replace

with

?

The lower string does not have the slash characters that are found in
the upper string.
--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(replace with the at - @ - character)bezeqint.net