Re: file uri in sources.list, "archive" format?

Brenda J. Butler <bjb@achilles.net> writes:
> the file uri should point to an "archive" which should have a
> certain directory structure (like on debian cd's) right?

Yup.

> And there should be package index files?  So my question is, how do
> I make that index file, and does anyone have any other advice re
> this approach (eg, don't bother, just install using dpkg, or
> whatever).

You probably want to use the 'dpkg-scanpackages' utility out of the
dpkg-dev package to generate the Packages file.  Its man page is
pretty useful.  When I was doing this routinely, I found it best to
write a shell script to do the work of running dpkg-scanpackages in
each directory for me.

> I wonder if I install using dpkg if the apt-get system
> will know I have those packages?

I believe APT makes an effort to treat dpkg information as
authoritative.  Even if you install a package file directly using
'dpkg --install', APT will still know about it; using a front-end like
aptitude will show your package as "locally installed".

	-- Abra Mitchell