Re: Malformed mail headers -- missing linefeeds?

On Friday 26 April 2002 03:58 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 10:15:59AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > I'm seeing malformed mail headers today.  Just ran an apt-get
> > dist-upgrade on unstable, not sure if that relates.
> >
> > I'm seeing the 'Date' header appended with whatever header follows it
> > immediately.  In this case it's the 'From' header.  Missing subject
> > lines are also noted:
> >
> >     Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:01:00 +0100From: Patrick Kirk
> > <patrick@kirks.net> To: Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>,
> > 	    Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> >     Subject: Re: Spamassassin tests help please
> >
> > Processing here is:
> >
> >    ISP's pop server (Netcom/Earthlink) => fetchmail => exim => procmail
> >    => spamassassin => folder.
> >
> > ...I'm a bit suspicious of spamassassin or Earthlink.
> >
> > I am *not* using the stripcr option in fetchmail.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing similar?
> >
> > Peace.
>
> Yes.  I thought it was just a glitch with yahoo groups, though.
> Here's a sample:

> Date: 26 Apr 2002 10:58:41 -0000From: zope@yahoogroups.com
> To: zope@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [zope] Digest Number 2807
> From:
> sentto-1241949-2807-1019818721-rossboylan=stanfordalumni.org@returns.groups
>.yahoo.com
>
> Hmm... that's two From: fields.
>
> I just noticed this on a couple of mails from this group because they
> didn't get dumped in the proper box automatically. Most of my mail
> looks fines.
>
> I use
> earthlink -> fetchmail -> exim -> local script -> mutt mbox
>
> I am on woody and have not upgraded for a few days.  So perhaps it's
> earthlink.

this is a cut from the earthlink header that i mentioned before.

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:18:27 -0400
From: jeff <jmr71769@earthlink.net>

as you can see, the date field, as karsten mentioned in his post, is quite
intact. so is the remainder of the header. if earthlink is responsible, it
must be due to some event that occured quite recently, as in late this
afternoon.

ben