Re: OT: Recommendations for a mail-list client

I recently wanted to do such a thing under MS Windows, and ended up
using exim under Linux because no obvious, easy solution presented
itself.

I put this in exim.conf:
mail_list:
	local_parts = dsa-sf
	driver = forwardfile
	file = /etc/exim/dsa-sf
	no_check_local_user

with the file having a list of names.

For example, under Windows Eudora claims that if you set up an alias
for a group in your address book and mail to it  people will only see
the alias.  But they don't; they see the whole list of names.

Another problem is that some ISP's (e.g., mine) won't led you send
messages with more than n recipients.

This probably won't be enough to make your friend switch to Linux,
though!

If someone absolutely forced me to do it on windows I think I'd write
a python script that took the message and list of recipients as input,
and used the smtp module to just send them off one by one.

I found most mailing list software (on Linux) is expecting you to be
continuously connected, and isn't really set up for cases where you
aren't.  This applies even to the stuff described as simple.  You can
probably abuse it by just using it to send stuff, though.

I'm curious to see what other people suggest.